Opening hours and admission prices
Events and Exhibitions
Museum tour of the castle rooms
Our round tour of the museum includes the Emperor’s Hall, the Castle Gallery and the historical rooms in the bower, in the chapel wing and in the archive extension. All parts of the castle have been restored and redesigned.
History of Gnandstein Castle
Members of the von Schladebach family, servants of ministerial rank to Theodoric the Oppressed, founded the castle around 1200. In the early 15th century, it became the property of the von Einsiedel family to remain in their succeeding generations’ uninterrupted ownership until 1945. The von Einsiedels extended the property by a new residential wing and a castle chapel, whose late medieval furnishings can still be admired today.